Comment 1

Jayne,

Thank you for the insightful post! I enjoyed how you first began by discussing the main goal of education, and the importance of understanding how people think and retain information in a classroom setting. I could not agree more with your point on utilizing aids for all learners. I strongly believe that in order to increases our chances of long term retention, we must start implementing more images, videos, and the follow the fundamental principles of Multimedia Learning. Furthermore, your discussion on Dual Coding Theory is fantastic. You clearly express the Dual Coding Theory is all about simplicity, and the need to cut out images or text which could distract the learner from the intended outcomes. A very nice transition into the next part discussing the mess that PowerPoint can create when creating presentations. I completely agree with on an engagement piece that would have kept you focused. I learn the same way, I need something, as you said to “grab and hold my attention” because if not, no focus whatsoever. The ability to represent information in different ways is powerful, and in most cases is needed for people to effectively retain information.

Also, you’re Prezi was fantastic and simple! Only displayed relevant information and wasn’t cluttered. Also have to mention, I really appreciate the bear photos you included, very adorable.

Thanks!

Comment 2

Hi Sarah,

First of all, very cute dog! definitely got a smile out of me. I like the colours you used in your poster, as well as in your brochure, very appealing.In reading your response to the question Where do I see AR in future classrooms? it made me think about new ideas surrounding augmented realty that I didn’t discuss in my post. The description of elementary school is spot on! It just shows how technology wasn’t very present in the school environment as it is now. I would also agree, that throughout the years, technology has seemed to be more accepted in classroom settings through enough laptops for every student, SmartBoards and similar technologies.I myself have used AR before, similar experience as you, I started to feel quite sick. I could definitely see this as an issue many people could encounter if AR starts to become a norm. Similar to your point of AR roles in the classroom, I also discussed in my post the actual extent we could utilize AR. It’s an interesting point, VR can be used to show students new things they wouldn’t be able to see normally. However, I don’t think it could fully take a predominant role in learning. I think you and I both agree on that point.The real-life Magic School Bus scenario is fantastic. AR can provide us so much more than just paper, this of course would increase learning retention. I also never thought about not needing textbooks anymore. We would be able to do away with paper copies of everything, which is a huge bonus in education. Easily stored and accessed data is ideal, and AR can do that. Overall, this post is great! Definitely gave me new ideas to ponder, and a different perspective on AR in the classroom setting.

Comment 3

Fantastic blog post and screen-casting video! While reading your blog, you mentioned some really interesting points. Firstly, the idea that this technology can help with illiteracy rates. Ive never really thought of the aspect and how this technology can further enhance the learning process of reading traditional books. Definitely very insightful and gets me thinking of the utilization of this tech in the classroom setting.

I completely agree that digital story telling is a form of Dual Coded Theory. I can also understand the benefits you mentioned. Digital story telling has the ability to take learning to the next level, as mentioned in previous weeks. I like the comparison you identify between digital story telling and being able to retain more information, very interesting!

Lastly, very good question at the end! The idea of digital story telling used with AR is a very fascinating thought. Overall, very good and informative post on digital story telling and its role in the classroom setting. Great job!

Comment 4

Sarah,

Thank you for the insightful post! I really enjoyed reading and felt like a breath of fresh air. The movies you mentioned got me thinking of what I would choose, and some of them are definitely on your list. It’s very interesting to read about how bad some movies really are, and just the complete lack of production. Similar to you, I can not stand bad CGI in movies, I completely lose all motivation to watch. With that being said, I think there is a parallel between us losing focus when movies have bad production, and videos in the classroom setting. If aspects that affect our ability to focus, we’ll never be able to learn the material.

Also, I want to mention I absolutely love the Venom storyline, big fan of Tom Hardy. However, I totally agree with you that the movie seemed so fake and rushed, its quite insane actually. Glad you and I agree on that, because it annoys me haha.

Fantastic post Sarah!

Comment 5

Sarah,

Very interesting perspective on Game Based Learning! I like how you mentioned that any topic can be turned into a learning game. All of the games you discussed sounds very fun while at the same time informative. The integration of Covid-19 protocols clearly show that anything can be turned into a game that is super beneficial.

I completely agree with your point on the importance of students utilizing technology in their learning. Coding being introduced in schools for children is a perfect example, which I am in full support of! Once again, a very insightful blog post. Thanks Sarah!

Comment 6

I would first like to say its been an absolute pleasure working with you the past two months! I also found the digital story telling quite interesting. I’m glad to hear that these experiences will be utilized in your career in the near future. Congratulations!

All the best,
Omar